The City of Halifax wants to close fire stations!
What is happening?
- HRM is proposing to close three fire stations in HRM staffed full time by professional firefighters.
- The result of these closures will be an increase in response times for all emergency calls to the areas currently covered by the stations that are slated to close.
- HRM’s population has grown. HRM’s own reports show they expect almost 40,000 additional new dwellings in the future. With this growth how can the number of fire stations be reduced?
Why should this matter to you?
- Even if your community is not affected directly by a proposed station closure you may, in the end, be affected.
- As firefighters we respond to most calls in task groups. This means we send fire fighters from more than one station to respond as we need all of them there as soon as possible to adequately help you.
- Each station relies on other adjacent stations to respond quickly to supply water, clear the smoke, perform rescue of victims, attack the fire in walls, assist with motor vehicle accidents, deal with chemical spills, etc.
- Without a quick initial response and back-up of supporting firefighters it is very difficult to perform the necessary tasks at an emergency scene.
- Fire doubles in size for every minute that it burns.
- Combined with CPR, the early use of defibrillators may increase the likelihood of survival by 75%. All fire engines carry defibrillators.
- The closure of any fire station affects the ability of firefighters to respond to your emergency.
What can you do?
- Sign the petition on this webpage.
- Contact your councillor. Contact information is on the bottom of this webpage.
Contact your Mayor and Councillor today!!
Mayor – Mike Savage
Phone: (902) 490-4010
District 1 – Barry Dalrymple
Waverley – Fall River – Musquodoboit Valley
District 2 – Dave Hendsbee
Preston – Chezzetcook – Eastern Shore
District 3 – Bill Karsten
Dartmouth South – Eastern Passage
District 4 – Lorelei Nicoll Deputy Mayor
Cole Harbour – Westphal
District 5 – Gloria McCluskey
District 6 – Darren Fisher
Harbourview – Burnside – Dartmouth East
District 7 – Wayne Mason
Halifax Peninsula South
District 8 – Jennifer Watts
Halifax Peninsula North
District 9 – Linda Mosher
Halifax West Armdale
Home Office: 902-477-8618
District 10 – Russell Walker
Halifax – Bedford Basin West
District 11- Stephen Adams
Spryfield – Sambro Loop – Prospect Road
District 12 – Reg Rankin
Timberlea – Beechville – Clayton Park West
Fax: 902- 876-4304
District 13 – Matt Whitman
Hammonds Plains – St. Margarets
District 14 – Brad Johns
Middle/Upper Sackville – Beaver Bank – Lucasville
District 15 – Steve Craig
District 16 – Tim Outhit
Bedford – Wentworth